By David Leonard
Sunday, April 24, 2011.
When it comes to health and dieting, some of us men cringe at the words alone. There is nothing macho about dining on a stick of celery, and most men wouldn’t be interested in discussing points. However, Men love to fix things, or at least we love to try. Give me a toolbox and set me loose around the house and I will probably start looking for things that need to be repaired. But we also need to take responsibility for our own health. When it comes to fixing things, we need to put our bodies at the top of the list.
Here are 10 tips to help men lead healthier lives:
1. Start eating healthier. - While this is easier said than done, men must realise that it is never too late to change their eating habits. Start eating fresh fruits and vegetables and stop snacking on those salty, fat-filled snacks that seem to find their way into the house.
2. Get up and get moving. - No matter how busy you are, you can find a few minutes here and there to get up and get moving. Exercise will help you live a longer and healthier life, so make an appointment with your doctor and get some advice on an exercise regime that is best for you.
3. Learn how to deal with stress. - If left untreated, stress can be a real killer. It can lead to heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure and a host of other ailments that are not good for you. Take time to learn how to deal with the stress in your life. Find a book, surf the Web or ask a friend for advice. Just do it.
4. Stop smoking. - If you smoke, you are destroying your own health. Ask your doctor for information on how you can stop smoking. Visit www.givingupsmoking.co.uk for tips and advice. You can quit!
5. Cut back on alcohol consumption. - How much alcohol do you drink each day? You might think it is a macho thing to stop at the local watering hole and drink a few beers on the way home from work, but it's not. Drinking too much alcohol can affect your health.
6. Have your prostate checked. - Prostate problems are not fun and can lead to serious health problems. Make sure your doctor is checking your prostate on a regular basis.
7. Have your blood pressure checked. - Thousands of men walk around with high blood pressure without even knowing it. If you cannot recall the last time you had your blood pressure checked, make an appointment with your doctor.
8. Learn how to deal with groin itch. - Through no fault of your own, you might wake up one day and feel the urge to start scratching your groin area. Welcome to the world of jock itch. Stop scratching and learn how to deal with the problem. Over-the-counter medications are available, and your doctor can help.
9. Learn how to deal with athlete’s foot. - There are several things you can do to help prevent athlete’s foot, from wearing clean socks every day to not walking barefoot in the gym changing room. And if you do get it, deal with it immediately. Several over-the-counter creams and other medications are available. Severe cases may require a visit to the doctor’s office.
10. Put safety first. - Men, you are not invincible, so start using sunscreen, wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle and fasten that seatbelt. When you practice safety in all areas of your life, you are protecting yourself and your health.